first, let's talk about john cage.
amazing composer, smart guy.
here's a quote that has shaped the last few weeks of mine:
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it FASCINATING."I have hence adapted an exercise from a keri smith book, and have made a list of fascinating sounds. (you know i love lists).
FASCINATING SOUNDS:that's all i really have to say about sounds. sorry. nothing deep about that.
- zippers hitting the sides of the dryer
- different people's footsteps
- cars driving by out the window
- attempted silence
- low voices
- smiles. (yes. smiles make sounds.)
second, i would like to share with you (yes another!) list. this one is of realizations i have come across.
- i am not a self help book.
- live by example.
- love comes in every form imaginable.
- don't take one person's advice. the best advice is that of everyone combined.
- i'm not lost, just undiscovered.
- every state is temporary and transitory.
- eat chocolate.
- dance like a fool. even if it makes you sore the next day.
- things about me are not part of my identity.
- keep good things. get rid of bad things. (it might help to smash some plates with the names of things you don't like on them.)
- life needs comic relief.
- i'm special because of everything i am combined. i don't need to be the best at any one part of me. i need to be the best at being me all together.
- the end of the book will always be happy. the end of the chapters won't be.
- everyday is a new beginning. you don't know when the first day of the rest of your life is going to happen.
- know your name.
- it's a wonderful world.